Now that it is football season it seems like naturally everything should be covered in buffalo wing sauce. You can buffalo just about anything, except cereal and ice cream. But never say never…
I love buffalo everything just as much as the next person, but I would prefer to keep it healthy and avoid the fried stuff. Be hold, the buffed up quinoa bites. This is meant to mimic buffalo chicken bites and give you a non-fried, vegetarian option. Honestly, it is really really hard to replace chicken. It is just not possible. However, if you are looking for a vegetarian, lighter option, I promise you will not be disappointed.
I also used the same recipe and instead of making bites, I made burgers. I loved both! The bites are much easier for sharing. The burgers, with bread, toppings and a side, makes for a complete meal with the full buffalo effect.
The base for this buffalo sauce is sriracha. If you don’t have sriracha or want to make a different sauce, just substitute the sriracha for franks or whatever your favorite is.
And, you already know I had to make my own blue cheese dressing too :).
1.5 cups quinoa
3 cups water or stock
1 1/3c shredded carrots
1 c finely sharp shredded shedder cheese
½ cup bread crumbs (any brand)
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
½ black pepper
3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Rinse quinoa before adding it to the water. It will take away the dusty bitter taste. If you are using a bullion be sure to follow the portions to make enough stock for 3 cups of liquid. Bring quinoa and liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. You want the quinoa to be light and fluffy. While the quinoa is cooking, shred the carrots and cheese if you did not buy shredded.
- Let the quinoa cool enough to work with, and so that it doesn’t melt your cheese and cook your eggs. Once you can touch it, it is ready about 5 minutes. 1.5 cups of quinoa yields about 4.5 cups of quinoa.
- In a bowl add all of the remaining ingredients and the quinoa. Stir to combine.
- Form 1-2-inch bites or burgers. You can use this recipe to make both. The full recipe will yield about 40 bites or 10 burgers, of course depending on the size you a making.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 15-20 minutes. I like mine a little more well done. The outside should be golden brown and a bit firm.
- Gently, toss the bites in the buffalo sauce. If you are too rough, your bites might start to fall apart .
Blue Cheese Dressing
½ greek yogurt
2 T Mayonaise
3T Heaping Tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
Pinch of garlic powder
Mix all this ^^^ together = Blue Cheese Dressing. Yes, you can make homemade blue cheese dressing!
Sriracha Buffalo Sauce
2T Butter, melted
1/2tsp apple cider vinegar
Mix all this together ^^^ = hot sriracha sauce
The Buffed up Burger version: