This light broccoli salad is the perfect sidecar to any summer picnic. Summer in Finland is not hot by any means to Ohio summers, but when it is warm outside people generally prefer light, refreshing dishes. There are many versions of broccoli salad, this one is intended to be kept light.
It also travels well and goes perfectly with my quinoa muffins, and of course a celebratory bottle of champagne :).
1 Head of Broccoli florets, about 3-cups
1/4cup Red onion
1 Apple, medium
1/2cup Hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
4T Lemon juice
1 1/4cup Greek yogurt
Big pinch of salt
A few grates of nutmeg, or a small pinch of the ground stuff
- Chop one head of Broccoli into small florets, no larger than 1-inch. The smaller the better I think. It helps to incorporate all of the ingredients and you don’t get a huge chunk of broccoli, since you are on a picnic and probably forgot a knife anyway.
- Chop all of the other ingredients into small pieces, especially the onion. Mince it as small as possible. Toss the broccoli, carrot, onion, and raisins in a bowl.
- Chop the apple into ½-inch pieces and toss with the lemon juice. Add the apple and the lemon juice to the mixing bowl.
- Toast the hazelnuts lightly and allow to cool a few minutes before adding to the bowl.
- Add the greek yogurt, mayonnaise and spices to the bowl. Mix to combine.
- Chill for a few hours before serving.
This salad goes really well with a sandwich at home or at your picnic. This can also be made ahead for a party too. This will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to mix the salad if it has been sitting for a bit. Water from the greek yogurt and veggies will leach out overtime.