I feel like many of you will read this recipe, and look past it because the ingredients seem strange. I am telling you, the flavor combo is awesome! I love to create new combinations of soups and stews, and always have ingredients on hand to through something together. Stew is so hearty, and satisfying and not necessarily bad for you. Or in the the case of the Golden Stew, definitely not bad for you. Packed with veggies, protein, and fiber. And, it is also a one-pot wonder!
If you are looking for a vegetarian option, leave out the chicken. If you like to spicy things up, add more chili flakes. This recipe is an unexpected combination of flavors that are not only healthy, but full of flavor.
4T of cooking oil
1pound chicken breast
1c White Onion
3 Cloves of Garlic
1/4c White Wine
2cans crushed or diced tomatoes
2C Diced Sweet Potatoes
2C Chopped Kale
2 pinches Crushed Red Pepper
1/3c Fresh Parsley
3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3-5 cups of Water
- Using your big soup pot, turn on medium-high heat, add a little cooking oil and brown the chicken. Cooking several minutes on each side and ensuring you cook it all the way through. When the chicken is completely cooked, remove it from the pot and set aside to rest.
- Add another 2T of oil to the soup pot, add the onion. Cooking for a few minutes until they caramelize.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Scraping all of the tasty chicken bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in canned tomatoes, chopped sweet potatoes, chopped kale, pepper, turmeric, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper. Allow this to cook for several minutes to cook off some of the liquid, soften the sweet potatoes, and wilt the kale.
- Last add the fresh parsley and 3 chicken bouillon cubes and water. Now allow you stew to simmer for about 30 minutes until all of the flavors marry together and your potatoes are soft.
Garnish with extra parsley, and a side of a delicious crusty bread. A lime wedge would also be a nice addition. This stew would accompany a variety of sandwiches or salads.